February 17, 2009
I finally got around to tackling the grow-op set-up that I have in the basement. Usually it’s upstairs in the living room this time of year, however, Maui’s dog crate takes priority. My plan is to start some herbs and vegetables in the basement, using emergency blankets wrapped around the shelving to keep things warm. In mid-March I’ll bring the grow-op upstairs to the south-facing window when I start the glut of my tomato seeds. By mid-April I’ll be hardening off seedlings during the day and then they’ll stay outdoors entirely by the beginning of May. But first, I needed to clean it up.
Here is it before the clean up and it’s not that bad, really. A stray bag of shredded newspaper for my vermicomposting (you can see the worm bin in the bottom left-hand corner), a drop cloth used for painting and some used pots that needed cleaning. I spent an hour re-organizing stuff (there was a whack load of gardening stuff in one of the bins) and I ended up with a tidy-looking set-up.
I got some help mounting the power bar (as seen on the left-hand side) and tied up all the unruly electrical cords. I have six shop lights, two per shelf, attached to the shelving with chains and S-hooks. The two bottom shelves have alternating cool (4’ Phillips 40w Cool White Plus T12 bulbs) and warm (4’ Phillips 40w Daylight Deluxe T12 bulbs) fluorescent lighting. I’m experimenting with the lights on the top shelf and bought GE Plant & Aquarium T12 bulbs last year. You can easily see that the lights throw a pinkish hue – I’m not sure if that’s a good thing. Opposite the grow-op (not seen) is a handy 8’ folding table that I plan to use as a potting and seeding station.
It looks a million times better in the basement now.