Putting in a Flower Garden
June 17, 2008
Earlier this year I offered to help put in a new flower bed in at a friend’s house. She told me the colors she liked, I did a bit of research, got the seeds and grew them in cell trays. Here’s a list of all the ones I started from seed:
- Aubrietia ‘Large Flowered Mix’
- Cerastium ‘Snow in Summer’
- Viola ‘Comedy Mixed’
- Pinks ‘Old Fashioned Mix’
- Sheperd’s Scabiosa ‘Jasione Laevis’
- Coreopsis ‘Early Sunrise’
- Catananche ‘Coerulea’
- Chrysanthemum ‘Crazy Daisy’
- Echinacea ‘Purple Coneflower’
- Delphinium ‘Pacific Giant’
- Wild lupines
They were busting out of their cell trays and we finally put them into a new home this past weekend. Here’s a shot of the location:
I picked up 6 bags of black earth and 3 bags of sheep manure and brought my spade and shovel as well as my watering can and all the flowers. I placed the flower packets on the ground to get an idea of where to put the seedlings:
This isn’t a very good angle as the bottom of this picture is actually the left side when you are standing with your back to the road. In this picture, I put most of the taller plants in the bottom left with a dip in the middle then back to some taller plants at the top left. The two plants in the middle were mid-size with the plants on the right being shorter.
We used a garden hose to lay out the shape and then used the spade to cut into the sod.
Next we peeled back the sod, flipped it and stamped it down, a really difficult task due to the number of shallow tree roots:
Once that was done, we re-applied our mosquito repellant and started to spread the black earth, topped it with sheep manure and mixed it in:
I don’t know what it is about freshly spread dirt/manure that mosquitoes really like, however, I got a zillion bites that are still itchy. This is how we left it before jumping in the pool:
Had a nice dinner and a few drinks then headed out to finish the bed off by filling it with flower seedlings. This is how it looks from the front:
Overall it only took an hour to prepare the soil and then 15 minutes to plant the flowers (thanks in part to being eaten by mosquitoes). It was a nice and quick project.